Tick data settings interpretation/Time-zones

Historical data from Global Markets (such as FX) and those of global interest (such as Indicies, Commodities, etc)
cbdekker

Tick data settings interpretation/Time-zones

Post by cbdekker »

As a paid subscriber I wonder how to set in the window "Tick data settings" the value for "GMT offset".

I my situation (MT4) the broker (ICMarkets) server time is "GMT + 3" hours. So in the EA I have:
- Reference Time Selection: GMT Time (Set GMT Offset Below)
- GMT Offset of Broker server : GMT + 3:00 Moscow

Must I set in the window "Tick data settings" (Dukascopy) set "GMT offset" also to +3 ?
Must I set DST to Europe or to Russia?

Kind regards, CBDekker, Netherlands

tickstory

Re: Tick data settings interpretation/Time-zones

Post by tickstory »

Hi Cbdekker,

Generally speaking, your time-zones should all be matching. If you are using "GMT +3" in your EA, then you should export data from Tickstory as "GMT +3". Looking at this article on IC Markets though:

https://www.icmarkets.com/blog/server-t ... o-gmt-3-3/

It seems IC markets is based on "New York time (5pm close)". The "New york time" option is available in Tickstory towards the top of the time-zone selection box. You will need to consult your EA vendor to see what setting is appropriate for your EA settings. In particular, I can't tell you whether your EA automatically shifts to account for daylight savings.

As an alternative option and for testing purposes only, you may be able to just export all your data as GMT so you don't need to consider time-zones. This means you would export from Tickstory as "UTC/GMT" and set your EA to a "0" for GMT offset. Again, you might need to check with your EA vendor to make sure there are no additional settings that account for time-zones.

FYI, this section in our documentation might also be useful:

https://tickstory.com/help/tickstorylit ... time-zones

Thanks.