strategy tester problem

Share your Tickstory back-tests for Expert Advisers and Strategies
mahdisarlak

strategy tester problem

Post by mahdisarlak »

I'm having some issues with Strategy Tester and really need a hand.

I downloaded the chart history of the last 6 months and exported it to my MetaTrader 4

But when I start the strategy tester, The chart moves normally and the EA does not take any orders
I have this problem with every expert (even MACD).

what should I do ? to fix the problem?
Thanks so much in advance 🧡

tickstory

Re: strategy tester problem

Post by tickstory »

Hi

We have a general trouble-shooting guide for this question in our FAQ which might help.

Regards.

Floris

Re: strategy tester problem

Post by Floris »

I had a similar issue but with MT5! I figured out why it wasn't working in my case:

First, I had followed these steps:
https://tickstory.com/how-to-import-tic ... atrader-5/

But with the difference, that instead of naming my custom symbol EURUSD_tickstory, I named it tickstory_EURUSD, with the reasoning that when all symbols are in an alphabetically sorted list, I want all my custom symbols to be next to each other. I thought this name would work, but it silently failed! When I did backtests with any EA, it only had 0 PNL trades.
I figured out, the reason was that MT changed the base & quote currency of my custom symbol against my will!
It wrongly assumed that the first 3 letters are the base currency and the next 3 are the quote currency! You can confirm this in the symbol properties dialog, even if you manually set it to EUR & USD, it changes it back!
The only way is to create a new custom symbol with the right name: EURUSD_tickstory.

Btw, for some weird reason, MT doesn't let me delete my old custom symbol with the wrong name, oh well..