MT4 crash during optimization

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
jojo

MT4 crash during optimization

Post by jojo »

Hi,
I have a problem when doing optimization back test.
The problem is as follows:
1.when using data from 2013/01/01,the MT4 software will automatically close,not from the beginning,but in the middle of the process;
2.all data before 2013 have no such a problem;
3. I have two machines installed tickstory, I was running back test at the same time. Both of the machines have the same problem;
Other then these, when I was running the two machines, I was also installing tickstory on another machine.

Is the problem happened because I installed tickstory with same licence to more then I should?

I checked that on the forum. According to your reply, I uninstalled the tickstory on the third machine, reinstalled the soft on the first two,
but the problem still happened.

Could anyone offer me some help,please?
Many thanks.

tickstory

Re: MT4 crash during optimization

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jojo,

Tickstory and/or Tickstory licensing will not be the cause of the issue. It's possible that MT4 is running out of resources during the back-test and is simply crashing. If you are trying to back-test a large period of data (eg. more than 2 years), I would try exporting only say 1 year of the "problem" period such as 2013-2014 and see if you still come across the issue. You might also want to try the test on a generic EA such as "MACD Sample" to see if it's your EA that is causing a problem (quite likely). In some cases, external DLLs may not be designed for high-volume of tick data which is causing some sort of "out of memory" issue or the like. If you have access to the source code, you might also want to log some debugging information to see if there is a specific set of data that is causing a problem.

Hope this helps.

jojo

Post by jojo »

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your reply. That really helped.
Since tickstory is not the cause of the problem, I will try other ways to figure out the issue.

Thanks again.

jojo

Post by jojo »

Hi, again!
I still cannot figure out the problem.
The issue is quite strange, because I tried some different ways to do the test,
it seems that only data from 2013 to 2016 will cause the issue.
Here is some variations I tried:
1. optimazition from 2004 to 2012, using data of one year or more, no problem;
2. normal back-test (not optimazition) from 2013,no problem;
3. optimazition from 2017, no problem;
4.optimazition using EAs included in the MT4(MACD sample),
a. starting from 2012, even included 2013(for example:2012 to 2015), no problem;
b. starting from 2013, MT4 crashed;
5.optimazition using just one year of data (2013), MT4 crashed;
6.use a MT4 downloaded from another broker, or use another machine, same issue;
Again, only when the optimazition(not normal back-test) using data start from 2013,2014,2015,and 2016
will have the problem.
Could you please sent a link that I can download the previous version of tickstory?
I would like to have a try if it would work.
Many thanks.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jojo,

There are no recent changes in Tickstory that would affect your back-tests in this way. The issue is likely to be related to something specific in the 2013 set of data that is causing an issue during your EA test. From what I understand, the MACD Sample EA is working fine? If so, what you might try doing is logging the last tick that is processed and you can narrow down exactly where the problem lies. If it's exactly on the same tick each time, there could be some issue with what the EA is doing with the data (eg. "memory violations" or divide by zeros). If it happens at differing points, it sounds like it could be memory-related (for example, perhaps there are voluminous ticks in that period causing a problem)?

Hope this helps.