Highs and Lows and Time for Candles has turned to Zero

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
TesterThomas

Re: Highs and Lows and Time for Candles has turned to Zero

Post by TesterThomas »

Along with the Ram question, there is one more thing I would like to know. What would happen if I were to run more than 1 MT4/Strategy Tester at the same time? Would that require exactly double the memory and would each one cause the other to be more likely to crash?

I mean, if I'm already having these problems, would it be multiplied? Or would they operate somewhat independently?

TesterThomas

Post by TesterThomas »

Sorry to put in another post, I've been reading other threads and I've seen you mention that if you export only the time frames you need, that can save space.

My EA's work like this. The 1 minute chart uses only 1 minute. The 5 minute uses 5 and 1 minute, the 30 minute uses 30 and 1 minute.

Basicallly so far I only use two timeframes for every EA. Does that mean I only need to use data which has two timeframes for each one, and would that allow me to backtest much further back in time? It sounds like a good idea

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Thomas:
What would happen if I were to run more than 1 MT4/Strategy Tester at the same time? Would that require exactly double the memory and would each one cause the other to be more likely to crash?
Not necessarily. MT4 is a 32-bit program which means that it can only address 4gb worth of memory at a time. If you had say 32gb of RAM available and you were testing successfully with a single MT4 instance, then theoretically you would have sufficient memory to fire up a second instance and do the same. Of course, your results on your PC may vary so we would recommend seeing what works in your situation.

Basicallly so far I only use two timeframes for every EA. Does that mean I only need to use data which has two timeframes for each one, and would that allow me to backtest much further back in time? It sounds like a good idea
As far as Tickstory is concerned, you would only need to export data for the time-frames you are using - in your example. select M1, M5 and M30 for export. AFAIK, this won't have any bearing on the amount of historical data you can test with, only the amount of disk space you will save.

Thanks.