Difference in back test results between Lite and Standard version

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Jeanclaude

Difference in back test results between Lite and Standard version

Post by Jeanclaude »

Hello everyone,
I have been trading for 1 year on a demo account and a few months ago I decided to create an EA and test it with Tickstory data.
I initially downloaded the Lite (free) version of Tickstory with historical data for 1 year and optimized my strategy according to this data.
Then I decided to download the Standard version (paid).
During the back test, related to the same time period of 1 year, I found a huge difference in the results.
With the data of the Lite version, in my strategy I had reached a profit factor of 1.77 while with the data of the Standard version I get a Profit Factor of 1.16!!!
Why is there this difference in results between one version and another using the same strategy in the same period?
Have you ever encountered this problem?
Is it my error or the data of the Lite version (free) are different from the Standard version (paid).

Thank you
Jeanclaude

tickstory

Re: Difference in back test results between Lite and Standard version

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jeanclaude,

On the Tickstory side, there are no reasons why you should see differences in your back-test between Standard and Lite provided you are using exactly same settings to export your data. Here are some common things you should check between your two back-tests:

- Make sure you have exported the same range of data, along with the same MT4 Settings (i.e. in MT4 Export->MT4 Settings).
- In the same MT4 Export dialog box, make sure your "Leverage" and account settings are also correct.
- In MT4, make sure your Expert Properties->Inputs and Expert Properties->Testing values are the same in both terminals you are testing.
- Make sure you have disconnected your terminals from your broker (Login to Account and then type an incorrect password). This will prevent any back-fill of data that might cause confusion.

If you have the two back-test reports that you can compare, the next thing to do (if all the above points check out), is to look at the first trade taken. If they differ, you will need to understand why this is (eg. price difference? timing difference? etc) and trouble-shoot from from there.

Hope this helps.