Introduction to MT4/MT5 + What is bi5 file for?

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
Pingo

Introduction to MT4/MT5 + What is bi5 file for?

Post by Pingo »

Hi all, I have been using tickstory and I love it so far.

Thank you to tickstory community!

I have a curious question. I noticed whenever I export data, its always comes 2 two files: one contains a folder (year>month>day> multiple bi5 files) with bi5 files, and one the CSV for export in MT5/MT4.

1) Usually, using my MT5/MT4, I will just export those CSV files for testings. I believe that just importing history in my MT4/MT5 through tickstory's guide and selecting the CSV files to load it, will do the job correct?

2) for the other folder that contains multiple BI5 files, what exactly are those for? I have not used it for import into MT5/MT4 before. Whenever I download data from tickstory, it comes in that 1 folder and 1 CSV file. can I just delete the folder since its never in use? Or do I always have to place it in the same directory with the CSV file?

I would be grateful if anyone can help me out by explaining shortly to me..

tickstory

Re: Introduction to MT4/MT5 + What is bi5 file for?

Post by tickstory »

Hi Pingo,

Welcome to you and thanks for your kind feedback!

Regarding your questions:

1) Tickstory provides the ability to natively export data into Metatrader 4. This means there is no need to export/import CSV files. The process (along with video instruction) is described here: https://tickstory.com/articles/metatrad ... g-quality/.
For Metatrader 5, it is necessary to export to a CSV file and then import. This process is described in detail (along with video) here: https://tickstory.com/how-to-import-tic ... atrader-5/

2) You can safely ignore the .bi5 files. This is merely the cached tick data in compressed format. Tickstory stores this on disk so you don't need to repeatedly download them from the internet. This information will reside in the folder that is specified in Tickstory's File->Settings->Dukascopy Datasource->Store location setting. If you delete the contents of the folder, it cause any problems, however it will force Tickstory to re-download the data from the web again which will take time.

Hope this helps.