Is it possible to launch twice MT4 for backtesting?

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
TealC

Is it possible to launch twice MT4 for backtesting?

Post by TealC »

Hello everyone,

I wonder if it was possible to launch twice MT4 for backtesting on two currency pairs in the same time?

Thanks for answering in advance!

tickstory

Re: Is it possible to launch twice MT4 for backtesting?

Post by tickstory »

Hi TealC,

At the moment it is only possible to launch a single instance of MT4 via Tickstory. It is possible (but currently a bit cumbersome) to launch two MT4s from separate directories. You just need to change the MT4 terminal in the settings.
We are planning a future version that streamlines this process a bit more.

Hope this helps.

lukemp3

Post by lukemp3 »

Hello
I have the same issue

I have two diff mt4, I need to get the mt4 started via tickstory
I tried to select the first mt4 path, then press f8, the first mt4 starts
then I tried to select the second mt4 path into config page, but when I press f8, tickstory shows me the mt4 already opened (the first one)

So, it seems there is no way at the moment to run two different mt4 terminals.. :( :( :(

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Lukemp3,

You are correct - multiple launches of different MT4 installations will be addressed in a future version.

Regards.

Rikisher

Post by Rikisher »

TealC wrote:Hello everyone,

I wonder if it was possible to launch twice MT4 for backtesting on two currency pairs in the same time?

Thanks for answering in advance!
Hi, I'm new in this forum, I wanted to participate, because I am using tickstory quite a time and I want to give something in reward.

Sorry "tickstory writer" but It is possible to use multiple MT4 I have been using until 4 MT4 at the same time in 4 core Procesor Intel I5. If you watch the procesor's load of work in Windows Task Manager when you are backtesting you will see that 1 MT4 uses "full power" of 1 core, the other 3 are standing by or working in other issues of your pc. If you put 2 MT4 you see that now 2 cores are working full and the other not.

Well that means that 1 MT4 per 1 core, for all PC's. Mi laptop dual core can bear 2 MT4 backtesting at the same time.

Now How to make that various MT4 work at the same time:

- Look for any Old Portable Metatrader version, like build 432 or others. They not require you to install on System. Just copy the file. I found looking in google. But my MT4 is part of the Intranet of my Company and I cannot take out info.
- Name the file of MT4 that you download as MT4One for example... but any is valid.
- Duplicate that file and change the name MT4Two ...
-Now you have 2 MT4 well Open Tickstory, and From the first menu (my version is Spanish maybe some name is wrong) "File" "Settings" "MT4 Configuration", select the file MT4One as MT4 Installation. And exit to main Tickstory Window and press the shortcut to launch MT4.
- You Now have the first Mt4 working.
- Reset Tickstory.
- Now in the new Tickstory go to "File" "Settings" "MT4 Configuration" and select the second file MT4Two. And exit to main Tickstory Window and launch MT4.

Ready, you have 2 MT4 running.

I hope this will be helpful to you and other people.

Rikisher

" MT4 knowledge and code Free for all"

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Rikisher,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your contribution.

From what you describe, you are talking about duplicating the entire MT4 folder? If so, then yes, it is possibly to launch two instances however you need to also duplicate all the historical data as well which can be prohibitive. I believe the others were talking about launching the same installation of MT4 (i.e. in the same folder). If not, thanks for your suggestion as it should provide a valid workaround.

Kind regards.

tcferreira

Post by tcferreira »

Excellent question. I was also trying to today but I couldn't. Installed a new MT4, with the name of MT4 2 Test, but this occurring a problem when I try to add the folder of the installation with the following message:

---------------------------
Invalid location
This does not appear to be a valid MT4 installation directory.

Please ensure you have selected the root Metatrader folder (eg. C:\Program Files\Metatrader) and you have run MT4 at least once prior to selecting the installation folder.
OK

But the MT4 from Metaquotes this installed in C:\Program Files (x 86) \MetaTrader 4.

I've opened the platform, open a new demo account, I added a graphic, but nothing working.

But at least it worked with other platforms of the brokers.

I also believe to be an excellent way to do various tests at the same time, because I myself have more than one version of my EAs that needs to be tested, and the ideal is to make it work via a single platform, with the same historical data.

This feature I thought would be available in this latest version. I hope that is already in the next version.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tcferreira,

The "invalid location" error is discussed here:

http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=237

Just to temper your expectations, the feature to allow multiple instances on the same MT4 installation is not imminent. Of course, if you need it now, Tickstory does support Birt's Tick Data Suite: http://eareview.net/tick-data-suite?hop=referrer9

Regards.

tcferreira

Post by tcferreira »

tickstory wrote:Hi Tcferreira,

The "invalid location" error is discussed here:

http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=237
Thanks for the tip Tickstory. I need to re-install the program Tickstory in another directory?
Just to temper your expectations, the feature to allow multiple instances on the same MT4 installation is not imminent. Of course, if you need it now, Tickstory does support Birt's Tick Data Suite
Regards.
But it was actually the TDS payment that changed me also for Tickstory, because apart from being freeware, it has helped me a lot and fulfills its promises. That's why I made the switch to the Tickstory. But TDS also is an excellent program, and it's a pity the tickstory don't have this feature, because I see that is an excellent functionality.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Tcferreira,

Please refer to the suggestions the post - moving directory is one of the options to resolve the error.

Re: TDS, if you have the purchased this already, then you should be good to go!

Regards.