how to create normal (not-tickdata) mt4-history?

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
gooly

how to create normal (not-tickdata) mt4-history?

Post by gooly »

Hi,
sometimes, some projects I do not need tickdata for my backtests! So how can I create the normal history for the stratetgy-tester for mt4? The backtests will be faster and the history files will be a lot smaller - which is a grate advantage for an EA that uses several pairs (28 in my case) and several timeframes...

Would it be such a problem to create that for the tickdata source?

Thanks,
Gooly

tickstory

Re: how to create normal (not-tickdata) mt4-history?

Post by tickstory »

Hi Gooly,

When you are exporting your data to MT4, just uncheck all the FXT timeframes and Tickstory will only generate the HST files which contain bar data only (i.e. 1-minute, 5-minute, etc).

Hope this helps.

gooly

Post by gooly »

Well don't I need the fxt-files for back-testing?
Can I - the way you said - create m1-, m5-, m15-, -files in tester/history with which I can backtest?
Gooly

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

The FXT files will not be created and you should also not need to launch MT4 via Tickstory as you are not using the FXT/tick data.

Regards.

BeLikeWater

Post by BeLikeWater »

Sorry, but if he doesnt create the fxt data for backtest and only the .hst data. How will mt4 create the FXT data needed for his backtesting purpouses?? Via converting the .hst imported data from Dukascopy into .fxt? How are we sure that we are backtesting Dukascopy data then?

Thank you

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

I believe Gooly was wanting to merely use the charts and not back-test and therefore does not need to export FXT files.

Regards.

BeLikeWater

Post by BeLikeWater »

tickstory wrote:I believe Gooly was wanting to merely use the charts and not back-test and therefore does not need to export FXT files.

Regards.
Im pretty sure he wanted to backtest, but not with tick data. I have the same problem.

Backtest with tick data is ok for the EA´s you need it.
Also Backtesting without tickdata is the way to go for other EA´s.

Greetings

BeLikeWater

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi BeLikeWater,

Tickstory will always source its data from tick-accurate information, so if it's about saving time on the download/export then this wont help since it always takes approximately the same time to produce a 1-minute data set as it does a tick-based dataset.

If it's about saving time when back-testing, what you could try is:

1) Export the data as usual but then delete the FXT files.
2) Start up MT4 but not via the Tickstory launcher.

In theory, when you begin a back-test after this, MT4 will generate the FXT files based on the most granular data, being 1-minute. We haven't tried this however and unfortunately it is too hard to support all the permutations of what is possible. Instead, we encourage users to discuss further about how may have a workaround. If there is a specific feature we can add to assist then we will have a look into it.

Regards.

BeLikeWater

Post by BeLikeWater »

tickstory wrote:Hi BeLikeWater,

Tickstory will always source its data from tick-accurate information, so if it's about saving time on the download/export then this wont help since it always takes approximately the same time to produce a 1-minute data set as it does a tick-based dataset.

If it's about saving time when back-testing, what you could try is:

1) Export the data as usual but then delete the FXT files.
2) Start up MT4 but not via the Tickstory launcher.

In theory, when you begin a back-test after this, MT4 will generate the FXT files based on the most granular data, being 1-minute. We haven't tried this however and unfortunately it is too hard to support all the permutations of what is possible. Instead, we encourage users to discuss further about how may have a workaround. If there is a specific feature we can add to assist then we will have a look into it.

Regards.
Dear support

Download time is not a problem.

When you say: " it always takes approximately the same time to produce a 1-minute data set as it does a tick-based dataset." I suppose you have already download the tick data. The 1 minute data that you are refering contains every tick I suppose is not a "conventional" O-H-L-C data, right?

Yeah definetly im trying to save time in my backtesting for EA that dont need tick data. I will try what you are telling me a comeback to present the results. Maybe with a bit of luck we will have the Fxt generated from the .hst data that are you refering to.
Greetings

BeLikeWater

agora

Post by agora »

My way of saving time, is i just use a "large" harddrives (250-1000gb) and export all Data for all pairs+Timeframes i might be interested in testing once.
Then i use paragon Disk manager to image (copy hole Harddisk) twice, so i saved ~60% of the time, like it would take if i would export the Data on each PC seperatly. I do this once per month (i update the Data + i kick out useless pairs, as example like EurCHF or Silver)

Using more than one PC is generally in most of my cases a good idea. The good thing about computers are, you can work on problems in parallel.

greetings.