Modeling N/A

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
scott

Modeling N/A

Post by scott »

I recently downloaded tickstory's application and downloaded 1/1/14-7/31/14 for 6 pairs. I then exported them to mt4 and used the EA to import the broker settings. Once the export was completed I proceeded with launching mt4 and testing this range of data. I got the following:

Bars in test 14408 Ticks modelled 14407 Modelling quality n/a
Mismatched charts errors 0

Can someone help me figure this out. I thank you very much in advance.

Scott

tickstory

Re: Modeling N/A

Post by tickstory »

Hi Scott,

We are aware that the modelling quality is sometimes being reported as 'N/A'. As far as we are aware this should not affect your back-test results.

Hope this helps.

scott

Post by scott »

Thanks for the reply!

But it's only using the 1M bar as you can tell because the bars in test match ticks in test. Plus watching the visual mode and slowing it just prints a new bar every time there is a "tick".

I've deleted and imported several times and nothing is working to get the ticks used and not the 1M bars. I now cannot even get a back test to run.

Scott
Scott Parks
Vita Wealth Partners
Office 1+ (415)890-3725
Scott@VitaWealthPartners.com

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Scott,

We're looking into this and will need to get back to you.

Thanks.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Scott,

We've done further checks to see if we can reproduce the problem you're having. We thought there may have been a recent MT4 change that is causing the issue but this doesn't appear to be the case. The only time we see the 'n/a' modelling quality is when:

1) MT4 was not launched via Tickstory launcher
2) MT4 is not using the Tickstory exported files. Reasons for this can include:
a) Incorrect data folder was specified in the Tickstory Settings->MT4 Settings (the Data folder should match MT4 File->Open Data Folder location)
b) You are trying to back-test in a particular time-frame (eg. M1), but have not exported this time-frame in the Tickstory export dialog (i.e. FXT M1 should be checked).

Generally speaking when you see the a modelling quality of 'n/a' this means that MT4 is not correctly using the Tickstory exported files.

Hope this helps.

scott

Post by scott »

I don't use the Tickstory F8 to open MT4. I tried that and the pair wasn't using tick data but went from bar to bar not using the ticks in the bar.

Here is what I've done to get the data and I've tried downloading at least 3+ times. I'm downloading 6 pairs in total.

1. Click on pair the 6 pairs I want data for
2. Right click and select download and chose the range. I have also deleted all the data folders and re-downloaded and select export to MT4

Neither method works for all pairs to get the tick data downloaded and export to MT4 in an easy manner.

I'd be happy to donate some money once this works as it is supposed to.
Scott Parks
Vita Wealth Partners
Office 1+ (415)890-3725
Scott@VitaWealthPartners.com

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Scott,

It's very important to follow the steps described in this video to get things going:

https://youtu.be/084k9fJCeCY

It's important that MT4 is launched via Tickstory otherwise you will have the problems you described. MT4 does not natively support the use of tick data so the 'launch' step tweaks MT4 so it uses the Tickstory exported data correctly. Also, make sure you have configured the 'MT4 Settings' correctly in Tickstory's File->Settings menu. If your MT4 export/data folder does not match the folder location shown by selecting File->Open Data Folder in your MT4 terminal, then you will also have the issue you describe.

To simplify things, just try export one symbol for the time being (such as EURUSD) so you get the hang of things. You can get further help in the manual to check the presence of various files (such as the FXT files) that MT4 needs for the back-testing procedure.

Hope this helps.

agora

Post by agora »

thanks for th video, i managed to backtest with 99,9% now.

But the downsid is, now i can only use the tickmodelling mode, if i choose "control points (medium speed mode)" it doesnt work.
I guess this is because mt4 stated form tickstory with F8 is in tickmode only ?

greetings

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Agora,

That is correct - Tickstory only supports the usage of tick modelling quality. You still may be able to get control points to work however it's not something we actively check.

Regards.