how to know the backtest is based on the data from tickstory

General discussion about the Tickstory Lite software package.
craneliu_2014

how to know the backtest is based on the data from tickstory

Post by craneliu_2014 »

Dear Fellows:

I am new to backtest with tickstory data. very confused.

I just bought one EA. but this EA reliy on the trading account No. that meant that I have to log in with my trading account, then I can test this EA.

To test this EA, I used the following steps
1) exported the tickstory data to MT4
2) launched MT4 rom Tickstory lite
3) login with my MT4 account and password
4) started the back test

But how do I know the backtest is based on the tickstory data rather than the historical center's data? because when I login, the history center data were updated automatically too.

by the way, how to check whether tickstory data is for MT4 Build 670+? different Build version, the backtest results may different.

thank you very much for the advice!

Best regards
crane

tickstory

Re: how to know the backtest is based on the data from ticks

Post by tickstory »

Hi Craneliu,

Try performing the following steps:

1) Export the Tickstory data to MT4 (ensure you have marked the FXT files 'read only').
2) Launch MT4 from Tickstory Lite
3) Start back test.

The main difference of course is not to log in which causes the update of historical data from the broker's server.
You will know you have successfully utilised the exported tick data if you get a modelling quality of 99.9% in your results.

Hope this helps.

mrmedia

Post by mrmedia »

Yes, successfully exported and started MT4 from TickStory and quality is '99.9'. Both for 'all data' and 'between two dates' backtesting.

Then if start MT4 by itself the quality is 'n/a'.

So ....... what is being done here, what is the difference? How do you start MT4 manually and achieve the same thing?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi MrMedia,

MT4 does not natively support the use of tick data. By launching MT4 via Tickstory, it provides a "tweak" which uses the tick data correctly. Without this tweak (i.e. if you try launch MT4 without Tickstory), MT4 will attempt to create its own, less accurate data-set.

Hope this helps.