MT4 only launches once, then "no data for testing"

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
Drew

MT4 only launches once, then "no data for testing"

Post by Drew »

Great product, but I am having a very frustrating problem....

I am able to download data and launch MT4 from Tickstory and run a backtest, but if I close MT4 and open it again (through Tickstory) I get "no data for testing" error immediately. I then have to go through the whole download and import again. Am I missing something, or is something not working correctly? I installed Tickstory as Admin in Win7, and have tried several fresh installs of MT4 and Tickstory and get the same result.

This is a real pain when trying to sort out the logic of a new EA. I need to restart MT4 everytime I create a new version of an EA and then go through the whole download routine again.

Somehow closing MT4 is killing the data. Is this problem the FXT files being over-written? I noticed they are 6GB each which is massive.

Any help would be much appreciated. Its a great product but not really usable if I can't close and re-open Mt4 without a total re-build of the data.

Thanks Drew

tickstory

Re: MT4 only launches once, then "no data for testing"

Post by tickstory »

Hi Drew,

Unfortunately we have been unable to replicate the problem. Are you consistently experiencing this problem after exactly the second launch or can it occur after several launches? It may be necessary to do further troubleshooting with you to pinpoint the issue. As an interim workaround, I would recommend you mark your FXT files as read-only to prevent them from getting overwritten.

Thanks.

Drew

Post by Drew »

When I first launch MT4 from the Tickstory launcher it is fine and I could do a couple of backtest runs, but then I get the "no data for testing" error, without closing MT4 and after making the FXT files read only. I'm using MT4 version 469 on Win 7. If I close and relaunch MT4 I also get the "no data for testing" error.

Another puzzling thing is that all the FXT files for 5 years is 6.8GB for each timeframe, so the total is > 50GB. The M1 HST file is only 80Mb. Is this normal?

Should I load an older version of MT4?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Drew

Drew

Post by Drew »

I've done some more testing and found if I make the FXT files read only immediately after the download, and before I open MT4, then it works fine and I can close and re-open MT4 and run back tests without issue. The trick is to make the FXT files in tester/history read only before the first launch of MT4.

I can live with this as it is a minor work around.

Thanks Drew

Drew

Post by Drew »

Version 8 fixes my problem

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Drew,

Which of the issues you mentioned has been resolved in v0.8?

Thanks.