Average download/export speed

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
sandrogi

Average download/export speed

Post by sandrogi »

Hi,

I'm wondering about the download and export speed, and whether there is a difference in first downloading or directly exporting data. Currently on my side it takes forever to download/export data (got a standard subscription, my connection is at 250 MB/sec).

Example: in the last 24 hours, I was able to export 5-year history for 7 symbols, each in two versions: 5-min bars and tick data. Total volume was about 47 GB. That's around 2 GB per hour, or about 0.5 MB/second.

Questions:
- am I doing something wrong?
- is my download speed average or I'm at the low end?
- also exporting from already downloaded history takes about the same time. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Sandro

tickstory

Re: Average download/export speed

Post by tickstory »

Hi Sandro,

The first thing to note is to make sure you're on the most recent v1.9.7.0. There have been a few optimizations in this version that will help download and processing times.

The download speed can vary based on current load and is also subject to throttling to ensure all users are able to access the servers. The times you mention are not unusual and we are working on improving the performance for those downloading the initial datasets (technically speaking the data is not currently arranged in the most optimal fashion i.e. hourly rather than yearly which means that the time overhead isn't in the transfer but the request).

That said, once the data is downloaded you should experience must faster export speeds since all the data cached to disk.

Hope this helps.

sandrogi

Re: Average download/export speed

Post by sandrogi »

Ok thanks!