History issue

Report any bugs with the Tickstory Lite software here. Please give as much detail as possible so the issue can be identified and resolved as soon as possible.
render86

History issue

Post by render86 »

I've downloaded history for EURUSD since 01.01.2008 until 07.06.2013, and my backtest ran just fine since that date. Then I attempted a backtest starting 01.02.2009 until 30.12.2009 but it wouldn't run at all with no error messages in the MT4 Experts/Journal tabs. Lastly, I tried running a backtest since 01.02.2009 until 07.06.2013 but it only ran since 23.07.2012. Now, regardless of the starting date I pick preceding 23.07.2012, my backtests only run since 23.07.2012. What is the cause of this problem and how can I fix it?

P.S. Please, don't suggest downloading the historical data again. Tried it and the problem persists after the above steps are repeated.

tickstory

Re: History issue

Post by tickstory »

Hi Render86,

It is more than likely you are coming across the FXT size limitation that MT4 has. See this post for details:

http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202

Regards.

render86

Post by render86 »

tickstory wrote:Hi Render86,

It is more than likely you are coming across the FXT size limitation that MT4 has. See this post for details:

http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202

Regards.
How was it then possible for me first to be able to run the backtests since 01.01.2008 until 07.06.2013 just fine yet be unable to run backtests since 01.02.2009 until 07.06.2013?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Render86,

Is your FXT file larger than the maximum size? If so, please try reducing the size of it and see if it eliminates the issue for you. Given that we are not privy to the internals of MT4, we can only suggest workarounds to any issues you are experiencing.

Thanks.

render86

Post by render86 »

tickstory wrote:Hi Render86,

Is your FXT file larger than the maximum size? If so, please try reducing the size of it and see if it eliminates the issue for you. Given that we are not privy to the internals of MT4, we can only suggest workarounds to any issues you are experiencing.

Thanks.
Could the FXT file size somehow change after I set a later (not earlier) starting date for the backtest without downloading the historical data again?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

The Metatrader FXT file size remains the same once you have finished exporting the data from Tickstory. It could be that the behaviour you're seeing is a result of MT4 trying to find the date you specify by locating an offset within the file and this number is sometimes too large to handle.

Hope this helps.

render86

Post by render86 »

tickstory wrote:The Metatrader FXT file size remains the same once you have finished exporting the data from Tickstory. It could be that the behaviour you're seeing is a result of MT4 trying to find the date you specify by locating an offset within the file and this number is sometimes too large to handle.

Hope this helps.
Should re-downloading the history with GMT offset 0 help?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

I doubt it as this makes no difference to the size of the FXT file. You can reduce the size of the FXT file somewhat by checking the "Filter duplicate ticks" option in the MT4 Export window. Of course, you should only use this option if you know your EA wont be affected by the filtering of this data (eg. some scalper EAs could have their back-test results affected if they are dependent on price action/activity).

Regards.

render86

Post by render86 »

tickstory wrote:I doubt it as this makes no difference to the size of the FXT file. You can reduce the size of the FXT file somewhat by checking the "Filter duplicate ticks" option in the MT4 Export window. Of course, you should only use this option if you know your EA wont be affected by the filtering of this data (eg. some scalper EAs could have their back-test results affected if they are dependent on price action/activity).

Regards.
I always have the "Filter duplicate ticks" checked. Have you tried to reproduce the issue I am experiencing?

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

As mentioned, we are not privy to the inner workings of MT4 nor can we help if there is an issue/limitation in MT4 itself. We could obviously assist further if there was a bug in the Tickstory software but this does not appear to be the case. Our best recommendation is to ensure you work within the MT4 limitations. The FXT file size limit is a well-documented problem which is discussed regularly on MT4 forums and if you need further information, other MT4 users may be able to shed more light on the problem you are having.

Hope this helps.