New York 5PM Daily Close

Have some interesting ideas about how to improve the software? Let us know in this section!
Post Reply
jackt
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm

New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by jackt »

Hi,

Thank you for your wonderful program! I don't use tick data but the candles your program generates are perfect. Those from JForex are simply wrong and they would mess up the weekend gaps even after excluding their so-called "flats".

As you may know many people trade daily and 4-hour charts based on New York close (5PM EST). The advantage is there will be only 5 daily candles or 30 4-hour candles per week with equal length, since most Forex brokers (including Dukascopy) open at Sunday 5PM New York time and close at Friday 5PM.

Could you please add it as an additional "time zone"? You simply shift 7 hours from Eastern Standard Time: it's UTC + 2 during winters and UTC + 3 during summers but DST is adjusted based on EST/EDT.

Thank you very much!

Jack

tickstory
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:27 am

Re: New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jack,

Thanks very much for your post and feedback. If you want to adjust the time to NY time, does "Eastern time (US & Canada)" not do the job for you? It will automatically adjust for daylight savings time.

Regards,

jackt
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by jackt »

tickstory wrote:Hi Jack,

Thanks very much for your post and feedback. If you want to adjust the time to NY time, does "Eastern time (US & Canada)" not do the job for you? It will automatically adjust for daylight savings time.

Regards,
No I'm not talking about EST, but it's an artificial time zone which is EST/EDT + 7. When I say New York Close, it means daily open/close at 5PM EST when most financial markets have already closed at that time.

For example, Sunday 5PM EST/EDT when most broker open will become Monday Midnight, and Friday 5PM EST/EDT becomes Saturday 12AM. Then you'll have exactly 5 daily candles. There are a few brokers that provide this "time zone", including FxPro, FXDD, Hotforex. On their daily charts you won't see that (usually) short Sunday candle.

To summarize, during US Eastern time it's UTC + 2, during US Eastern daylight saving time it's UTC + 3. Since you've already have EST/EDT, you simply shift it 7 hours forward, uniformly.

Oh BTW the currency close prices you found in the Wall Street Journal everyday are also based on New York Close, i.e., the last price right before 5PM New York time.

More information here: http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers ... z2MzwJ6wPl
and http://www.learntotradethemarket.com/me ... ose-charts

Thank you!

tickstory
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:27 am

Re: New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the further information. This item has been added to the todo list (TICKLITE-88) - it wont make it for the v0.8 release but hopefully the next.

Regards.

jackt
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by jackt »

That's wonderful. Thank you! :D

boerseun
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 am

Re: New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by boerseun »

Yes please, I would also very much appreciate it if this feature could be added.

Thank you

tickstory
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:27 am

Re: New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by tickstory »

Hi boersun,

This feature has been implemented in 0.8.1. You can find out further information here:

http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138

Due to the fact that it was released alongside a pressing fix, only rudimentary testing has been done. Appreciate your feedback to see if it performs as you expect.

Regards.

jackt
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by jackt »

tickstory wrote:Hi boersun,

This feature has been implemented in 0.8.1. You can find out further information here:

http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138

Due to the fact that it was released alongside a pressing fix, only rudimentary testing has been done. Appreciate your feedback to see if it performs as you expect.

Regards.
Thanks for the update. I checked all 1-min candles from AUDCAD and compared the results with those from my own program. They are identical. Awesome job.

May I ask another favor of you? Is it possible to add an option (when exporting to CSV) to either round the volume numbers or make them flat at some constant level? The reason I asked is because ForexTester only allows volume in whole number (http://www.forextester.com/forum/viewto ... c93bb92293).

Thanks and regards,

Jack

tickstory
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:27 am

Re: New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by tickstory »

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the volume, you can format the output of the volume to whatever you choose. For your purposes, use the following custom format to output the volume:

Code: Select all

{BarBeginTime:yyyyMMdd},{BarBeginTime:HH:mm:ss},{Open},{High},{Low},{Close},{Volume:0}
This will format the volume as a whole number by using the specifier {Volume:0}.

Alternatively, if you just want a set number to appear, you can simply just put whatever number you like in the volume column:

Code: Select all

{BarBeginTime:yyyyMMdd},{BarBeginTime:HH:mm:ss},{Open},{High},{Low},{Close},1
Please refer to the section of Exporting to file in the manual for further information.

If you let us know the final custom format that works for you, it can possibly be added as a "quick pick" item in the future.

Regards.

jackt
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: New York 5PM Daily Close

Post by jackt »

tickstory wrote:Hi Jack,

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the volume, you can format the output of the volume to whatever you choose. For your purposes, use the following custom format to output the volume:

Code: Select all

{BarBeginTime:yyyyMMdd},{BarBeginTime:HH:mm:ss},{Open},{High},{Low},{Close},{Volume:0}
This will format the volume as a whole number by using the specifier {Volume:0}.

Alternatively, if you just want a set number to appear, you can simply just put whatever number you like in the volume column:

Code: Select all

{BarBeginTime:yyyyMMdd},{BarBeginTime:HH:mm:ss},{Open},{High},{Low},{Close},1
Please refer to the section of Exporting to file in the manual for further information.

If you let us know the final custom format that works for you, it can possibly be added as a "quick pick" item in the future.

Regards.
Thanks a lot! Yes I was thinking about some "quick pick" ideas as well. For ForexTesters the Time column has no colons, so it's

Code: Select all

{BarBeginTime:yyyyMMdd},{BarBeginTime:HHmmss},{Open},{High},{Low},{Close},{Volume:0}
Or you could let users specify their favorite formats and assign names to them maybe?

Thanks and regards,

Post Reply