Adding recent tick data

Have some interesting ideas about how to improve the software? Let us know in this section!
emmarita

Adding recent tick data

Post by emmarita »

Hi there,
I have been happily using Tickstory Lite with Tick Data Suite for a few weeks running loads of optimizations and backtesting. I downloaded 4 yrs of data for multiple pairs (Jan 1, 2009 - Jan 1 2013). Now I would like to add some more recent tick data Jan 1, 2013 - May 1, 2013. I believe that downloading the more recent data from Dukascopy is no problem - it is simply added to the previously downloaded data, right? Next I would download the data to MT4 - is is possible to append the existing .fxt and .hst - or do I have to export the entire time period of data again? (I have tried to just export the new data but then the backtesting failed...)

Thanks for your help!

tickstory

Re: Adding recent tick data

Post by tickstory »

Hi emmarita,

Good to know that Tickstory has been useful to you!

Downloading more recent data is no problem - as you correctly stated, it simply adds to the data that is already there.

As for the MT4 export, you will need to export the entire period again. This is because any subsequent exports will clear the previous .fxt and .hst files and recreate them in the period you select on the Export to MT4 screen.

Please let us know if you encounter any other issues.

disbellj

Post by disbellj »

Yeah, I have an issue with this as well. Is there no way to split the fxt files into parts like months and just checksum the month and if it hasn't changed, don't delete the month data for the fxt file that exists. I know it would be a hassle, but I figure if there were a "bookmark" of some sort that is different from anything else in code, the separations that need to be made could be a lot more easily for you? Either way, this is an awesome tool, and if it had this one feature, I could store fxts on an external hard drive and move into tester the pairs, months, etc. when needed and not have to export entire EURUSD history every time I want to test a new robot, since on my present system I don't have place for all 28 pairs total history in fxt format like I need.

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi there,

Yes, agreed that it would definitely be useful to simply extend the MT4 files to include the latest data and we are working on this feature. As for multiple data ranges, we should be able to support something similar to what you describe as we develop the next major version of Tickstory.

Thank you both for your feedback.