Don't delete correct existing fxt when exporting

Have some interesting ideas about how to improve the software? Let us know in this section!
disbellj

Don't delete correct existing fxt when exporting

Post by disbellj »

Please don't delete correct existing fxt when exporting. If I am trying to make the history full for a pair and have exported fxt for 95% of the entire time e.g. EURUSD (or any pair) has data for, and I get an error (like low disk space), there should be a checksum on each fxt to only replace the fxt if it has changed. Of course, now thinking about it, the fxt would have to be broken up into smaller pieces, kind of like MT4 downloads their history, so that if there is no difference on 95% of fxt, then only other 5% is downloaded.

Thanks for an swesome product that has given me hope I can become profitable (must be able to rely on a robot before putting it on account. I have built hundreds of robots and now I need to look over everything again because I now finally have a way to test something and have confidence in the results.

Kindest regards,

Don

tickstory

Re: Don't delete correct existing fxt when exporting

Post by tickstory »

Hi Disbellj,

Thanks for your feedback. We are working on future version which will allow incremental updates to the FXT file.

Kind regards.

disbellj

Post by disbellj »

Thanks!

Also, until then, I am finding every time I need to do a test that the fxt's have to be exported again. You said that they were locked, but I am finding they are not. This is Windows 7 running in a virtual machine. MT4 is located in program files, which may or may not be a part of the problem since I saw someone say to install MT4 anywhere but program files.

Kindest regards,

Don
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 4.04.22 PM.png

disbellj

Post by disbellj »

And unfortunately when I lock them manually, TickStory doesn't unlock and replace them when I send from TickStory again. Not only that, if I remove everything from MT4 > tester, it looks like I have corrupt history from TickStory coming in due to an error due to hard disk space. The bad data must have been kept since I'm get 1% Quality testing now, and this robot was one that I remember testing much better. I'm gonna once again clean out the MT4 tester folder, and search for and remove any data in TickStory for the pair I'm testing (will probably have to go into Windows Explorer to do this), and then download the data again since it looks like there is no checking to make sure downloaded data sent to MT4 is good.

Kindest regards,

Don

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Don,

Tickstory does not mark/unmark HST files as read-only - only FXT. Your HST files should in theory not change as long as you are not connected to your broker. If you are connected to your broker, you are likely to get various problems since the HST and FXT files no longer match up.

Once you have successfully generated your HST & FXT files via Tickstory, as long as your MT4 is offline you should be able to repeatedly do the same test (even after restarting your MT4 terminal) and obtain the same result. If this is not the case, then something else is modifying your files.

Hope this helps.

disbellj

Post by disbellj »

Can you tell me to keep just the one instance of MetaTrader offline and not the others? And also how can I speed up backtesting using ticks in MT4? It takes SO long.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Don

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Don,

Not sure if it's possible to keep the same MT4 terminal offline and online at the same time. You can certainly do this by making another copy of the MT4 terminal folder.

Regrding speed of back-testing, here is a topic that you can have further discussion on:

http://www.tickstory.com/forum/viewtopi ... 260&p=1003

Regards.