another suggestion

Have some interesting ideas about how to improve the software? Let us know in this section!
gooly

another suggestion

Post by gooly »

Hi again ;)

I failed to start the strategy-tester without the mt4 being started by Tickstory because the mt4 could not read the history files :(
Would it be possible either to have a history-file formate that both mt4 and Tickstory can work with or to have at least an add option in creating the files from the tickdata-base, that creates history files for normal testing?

Guy a lot for you to do ;)
Thanks and I hope very, very much that even further versions of mt4 can be started by Tickstory!!
Gooly

tickstory

Re: another suggestion

Post by tickstory »

Hi Gooly,

Not sure why MT4 cannot read the history files. Could you please explain further?

Thanks.

gooly

Post by gooly »

Well, the situation is pretty easy.
I used TickStory to create it's tickdata history files for all time frames.

Case 1:
I start Tickstory and from there the MT4 (F8-button) no problem,
I can start backtests and the optimization in the mt4's strategy-tester..

Case 2:
After that I directly start mt4 (without Tickstory) and start now mt4's strategy-tester - nothing happens and in the journal tab I read File could not be opened (or s.th. like that)

Case 3:
Now again I start TickStory and from there mt4 - backtests and optimization start without any problem..

Okay?
Gooly

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Gooly,

We can never eliminate Case 2 unless MT4 decides to support the use of tick data. Until then, you need to launch the application via Tickstory because this step prevents MT4 from deleting the tick data files that Tickstory generates.

Hope this helps.

gooly

Post by gooly »

We can never eliminate Case 2 unless MT4 decides to support the use of tick data. Until then, you need to launch the application via Tickstory because this step prevents MT4 from deleting the tick data files that Tickstory generates.
Hmm, but what would that mean if you will not support any more the start of mt4? The uselessness of tickdata?

Wouldn't it be possible for TickStory to create out of the tickdata-base the history files that the mt4 can use without being started by Tickstory?

I would suggest an extra option to create beside a tickdata-history a mt4-history from the data dld by Tickstory for the version after the next version - as I really would like you to enable several parallel starts of mt4 as I think that this would be the biggest advantage of the next version!!
Anyway Thanks a lot,
Gooly

tickstory

Post by tickstory »

Hi Gooly,

The launcher is compulsory if you wish to use tick data. Without it, MT4 simply generates test data from the 'history' (HST) data files which usually contain 1-minute data.

Hope this helps.